Friday, August 04, 2006

My Mustard Yellow Wall

Dijon mustard yellow, that is. Yes, I have the luxury (some may say bad luck) of looking at a yellow wall. Whereas some may refer to the color of my wall as drab I see it as a step up from white. The funny thing is that when people ask about my office I rarely think to mention its colorful façade.

Why am I telling you this? Do I have some strange penchant for paint? Not really. The point is that all too often in life we pass over the everyday things.

Now, to apply this stop-and-smell-the-roses moment to marketing.

Just like my wall, branding gets stale and can fade. Whether the associated messaging becomes its own dubious cliché, the product or service evolves, or time has rendered it inconsequential, a brand has to be updated and refreshed. There are of course exceptions to the rule – the branding that miraculously stands the test of time – but a brand that has evolved is much more ubiquitous.

So how do you go about refreshing your corporate paint? Just as you can use a roller, a brush or a sponge to paint your wall there are any number of options to refreshing your brand, each of which can serve as its own blog entry…nay…book. Suffice it to say the most important step is to look at your company. How has it grown over the years? What have you learned? Where is your focus? What is your culture? In the dreadful words of Barbara Walters, “If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?”

The secret is to let your true colors come through.