Friday, July 07, 2006

A Sinful Shameful Act (you know you want to read more)

I apologize. I am 100% guilty of the cardinal sin of blogging. In order to keep readers coming back for more, blogs must be regularly updated. Alas, I have been conspicuously absent from the blogosphere for near 3 months. Credit must be given to my fellow Arketi blogger for keeping the ship sailing. I, though, have brought shame upon myself.

In hopes turning my act of neglect into something useful I bring with me advice for the corporate blogger.

  • Schedule time to blog. Humans are creatures of habit. My biggest problem was that I didn’t have enough time to blog. Although that is mostly true, I cannot say that I did not have a single spare moment. Indeed one purpose of a blog is to share your thoughts as they arrive, but setting aside regular blogging time will allow you to focus on the task at hand and not on the 7,463,186 other things you have to do.
  • Look at the inspiration that surrounds you. Most people spend somewhere between 40 and 60 hours a week in the office. In that time there are bound to be lessons learned, taught and stumbled upon. Be they meaningful, trite or relatively amusing they are all likely blog-worthy. Just be careful not to name names or repeat the inappropriate joke told by the person in the cubicle next to you. It may be your last blog entry.
  • Have a rainy day blog. There will inevitably be a time when you know you SHOULD update your blog, but you just can’t do it. Be it writers block, a tight deadline or vacation there is bound to be a time when the blog entry will not happen. In these instances you can rely on a rainy day blog. Be it about best practices or the best spot for a business lunch, have a timeless entry in your back pocket to help keep up with postings.
  • Follow your industry’s (and the world’s) current events. I don’t mean to sound like a high school teacher encouraging my students to change the world (here’s to you, Mr. Leavy). But the fact remains, knowing what goes on in your industry will give you fodder for your blog. Besides, if you expect to get anywhere in your career you need to know what is happening now and what is on the horizon. Pick up the WSJ, your trade publication of choice and even your local newspaper – yes they do still exist – because you never know what your competition is doing just down the road.

I hope my blogging faux pas will serve helpful to your adventures in the blogosphere. I just hope I can follow my own advice and not come back 3 months from now groveling and asking for your forgiveness…again.