Monday, February 27, 2006

Can't we all just get along?

I read a great blog posting today. Yes that’s right, I’m reading my fellow bloggers’ work. How else am I to learn about this new-fangled technology? I had to laugh as I was reading, the author pointed to something that I have perpetrated. Something that I know to be questioned by many, but something so tempting that I cannot resist tasting the forbidden fruit.

All of my clients are leaders in their industry.

My fellow blogger continued to ask why PR folks do this. Low and behold, there were a number of comments that stopped just short of calling people who use this phrasing in their lead a plague on the industry. That my apparent “lack of contacts and know-how” forces me to resort to pitching in such a mundane and down-right horrific manner that I should be forced to choose which finger to cut off – so as to slow the spread of my infernal message.

Slow down people. Please.

Is there nothing to be said about repetitive messaging? Can we as PR people not understand the concept of branding? People associate phrases with companies all the time. Just do it, The ultimate driving machine, Plop plop, fizz fizz, oh what a relief it is.

Now before you jump on your soapbox and reply telling me I don’t know what I’m talking about. That those are taglines and ad jingles I say that it illustrates the point that by repeating a message it increasingly gains acceptance. Acceptance from an industry at large, acceptance from editors, acceptance from the general public and maybe even acceptance from our client, “Hey, maybe we are a leader in space XYZ.” What’s wrong with a little self-motivation?

So I return to the point that all of my clients are leaders in their industry (please note, they are not referred to as the leader).

Let me be frank here. [Insert your “Ok, but can I still be YOUR NAME” joke here] I love my clients. Not only are they great companies, they are also great people. But are they all the “leaders” in their respective industry. Maybe not…yet. But, that’s my job to help remedy.